St. George’s Hall, Liverpool…
Architects: Harvey Lonsdale Elmes (1841-1854); Elmes died in 1847 after which the construction & interior work was supervised by Robert Rawlinson & Corporation Surveyor John Weightman. From 1849 C R Cockerill was invited to given advice and was subsequently appointed architect in 1851. It was Cockerill who was responsible for the magnificent Minton-tiled floor seen in the topmost image.
The floor is usually preserved under floorboards to prevent erosion of the delicate pattern. However, once or twice a year the floor is uncovered for a week for viewing.
The detail image shows one of the opulently adorned doors fashioned in a Classical Greek style.